Friday, March 28, 2008

Top 5 Musicals

5. Thoroughly Modern Millie
Colorful, funny, has a good message but doesn't take itself seriously. Sutton Foster was brilliant as Millie in the original Broadway cast. I was so lucky to see her as the title character in NYC in 2003. Once again....thank you Loo (and Loo's dad)!

4. Anything Goes
I saw this in London in 2004. This is a classic old musical. It's funny, the song & dance numbers are over-the-top and extraordinarily entertaining. You can't help but smile as you watch.

3. Phantom of the Opera
Just because no list is complete without it.

2. Ragtime
OOOoOoOoOoOOgghghghhhh...This show ripped my heart to pieces then hand-sewed it back together; leaving me pinned to my seat, mouth agape, body frozen, life forever changed. I have ne'er seen a more moOoOooving musical. Music Circus, Sacramento, summer 2003. The cast was AMAZING. How fortunate I feel to have been able to see this musical.

1. Les Miserables
Come on, you knew it had to be! I've lost count of how many times I've seen Les Mis. I know I've been lucky to see it in San Francisco, London, and every time it's been in Sacramento since I was 12. And I must say....the best cast I've ever seen was summer 2007 at Music Circus. If I could only see one show before I were to die, it would be Les Mis.



4 comments:

Stephanie said...

i saw le mis last year too. it was amazing!

Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne said...

I feel very lucky to have seen Ragtime with you last year - I agree, it was one of the most moving musicals I have ever seen, that and Les Mis! I haven't seen it as many times as you have, but I saw it in New York and Sacramento. Music Circus did an awesome job! I was very impressed. That musical means a lot to me because my life is kind of like Cosette's. No, I never slaved away in a bar but my mom died when I was a kid and I was adopted by a kindly old couple (grany and grandpa).

Suzanne said...

Sorry I'm making kind of a mess of your comments page. I posted my first comment and realized that I gave away some of the plot of Les Mis and didn't want to ruin it for anyone who hadn't seen it, so I re-posted without the spoiler. Whew!