Thursday, September 30, 2010
love
Tonight Luna wouldn't go to sleep. So I laid her in bed next to me and we cuddled up together. She rested her head on my chest and I cradled her in my arm and caressed her soft hair. I could feel my heart pounding and I knew she could hear my heartbeat with her ear against me. I remember when she was first born the doctor told me it was important to have skin-to-skin contact, since she was only a few hours old and we were physically separate now, I needed to maintain closeness with her. He said she knew my heartbeat and it would comfort her. Tonight, more than a year and a half later, we laid together again and I held my baby so she could feel the beating of my heart. And I wondered, when do we forget the sound of our mother's heart? When does the time come that we can no longer differentiate that familiar rythym, which to our little ears was the most beautiful of all sounds in the world, from all other beating hearts? I'm sure Luna has long forgotten the unique sound that surrounded her when she was inside me. But I think she felt comfort & peace as we laid in bed tonight. I gently stroked her hair, in the way I always do, and I realized it's the exact same way my mom strokes my head. I remember when I was a child and she would lovingly hold me at bedtime. As I got older the times when I needed or allowed her to comfort me became less frequent, but I know that when I am at my lowest, a hug and a gentle touch on my head can make everything seem a little better. So thank you mom. I hope I can provide the same love and support for my own daughter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love you, my Coo. You are a great mom.
Post a Comment