In our gear before the tour started. Don't really think the helmets are necessary... but it was fun to look a little ridiculous.
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Underground Tour
My mom & I went on an underground tour in Old Sac. It was so fun! It's done through the Sacramento History Museum and I completely recommend it to one and all (not little kids though). Our tour guide was a character who was alive during the 1800's in Sacramento's early days, he had makeup to make him look like he was dead. He was funny and the whole thing was very educational and so interesting. If you've lived in Sacramento for a while, you probably know that the original city along the river was 24 feet lower than the Old Sac streets we know today. Because of flooding the streets were filled & the buildings were raised. Some of the sidewalks underground are still hollow and you can see where the buildings were raised and bastions were put up to support the new streets. There are way more details, and like I said, you should go check it out for yourself! It's closed now for the winter, but it will open up again in April, along with a new underground area being added onto the tour.
Just a pretty little area in Old Sac.
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!
Underground now... we're so cool :)
The guide only gave us about 2 minutes to take pictures while we were underground, because I don't think we were supposed to at all! So, I only got a couple. But you can see the bastions there against the wall. It doesn't seem secure! I feel like the sidewalks above could collapse at any moment! The guide claimed it was safe, though...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My pleasure! Thanks for the idea. I would definitely recommend this tour to people. We had a really fun time. Oh and lunch at Fats was super good!
Looks wonderful Coo. You and Liz look so fun and exciting. I couldn't be more envious. Also - I'd like to see 1,000 pictures of Luna in the next post.
Post a Comment